Eleanor Oliphant: Despite her cluelessness, you'll root for her

DEFINITELY WORTH READING!

My library requests for the audio and hardcover versions of this book both came through at the same time, so I was able to switch between listening to the story (a wonderful way to immerse myself in the Scottish accents) and reading it (to allow myself a deeper appreciation of the writing, which is glorious). In both formats, this is a heartbreaking, funny, moving story that shocked me with its dark turns but kept me rooting hard for its protagonist.

I expected the book would have the light-hearted spirit of Bridget Jones Diary, but it turns out Eleanor's "quirkiness" is a product of horrific abuse she suffered as a young child, a background with which she slowly comes to terms over the course of the book.

My one question was why Eleanor's background, which included a four-year college education and 10 years in an office job, had left her so completely out of touch with normal life. How did she never know what was normal to wear or say or do? I understand that she was (self-protectively) anti-social, but as she studied and worked among polite society, I didn't really understand how she failed to take note of any wardrobes or social conventions. Still, her not understanding these things gave the book much of its humor, which was certainly a needed antidote to the darkness in which she lived.

I loved her bumbling friend Ray who seemed totally unbothered by Eleanor's insults, criticisms or strange behaviors. His unassuming kindnesses made me wish we all had more Rays in our lives. Highly recommend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Reason Ends: What would my dead son say to me?

The Vanishing Half: Twins who choose different paths learn the same lesson

Sister Dear: No more drama in my life