American Taliban: Believable until the end

WORTH READING

I started this book because Pearl Abraham was my teacher/mentor in the MFA program at Western New England University and I wanted to read one of her novels -- and my wife had read all of them and recommended this one most. 

The novel was excellent, recounting the tale of a relatively ordinary though extremely privileged family with a bright, surfer son, a controlling get-shit-done mother, and a fade-into-the-background father spending a season together on the Outer Banks as their son takes a gap year between high school and the Ivy League school that has allowed him to defer. We see the son interact with his three closest friends, also surfers, all women, one of whom is his girlfriend, and then a skateboarding accident lands the young man in bed for a couple of months, which leads him to spend a lot of time online and reading. He develops an interest in a lovely young woman who is Muslim and also has an interest in Islam from a world religion class he took; he convinces his parents to let him go study Arabic in Brooklyn. He spends a summer studying Arabic, slow-dating the girl, making friends with the other Muslim kids taking classes with him, and from there convinces his parents to fund him taking a trip to Pakistan to study in a college there. All of these events cascade naturally, one from the other, and make perfect sense.

An excellent novel with some parts of the last third striking me as unrealistic.

Do not continue reading if you don't want spoilers. Spoilers after this:

The fact that the young man is then convinced to go train in the hills with guns and people waging a holy war seemed far less reasonable to me; the kid loves his peace-loving mother and often says things that echo what she has taught him to think. I appreciated the way we watch as he becomes progressively more isolated from friends, family and everything from his former life, but still the idea that he would abandon all that to go on a war mission struck me as preposterous.

I was also struck by the homosexual activity that pops up (literally, lol) once he's in Pakistan, leading the young man to wonder if it's just normal for men to have sex with one another there. I wish I knew the answer to this and had more of an explanation for it if it's true. But either way I suppose it's part of the slow isolating and disorienting that is happening to him before he vanishes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Reason Ends: What would my dead son say to me?

The Vanishing Half: Twins who choose different paths learn the same lesson

Sister Dear: No more drama in my life